NHS3 participants commit to completing a 30-minute online survey every six months. Each survey has a different focus so it’s important that nurses who join are willing to complete all of them.
Our goal is to make participation as convenient as possible for busy nurses.
- Surveys are conducted online (you can read about how the data is protected here: “Is my data safe?”).
- If you are interrupted while taking a survey, your answers will be saved so you can return later to exactly where you left off.
- We email you when it’s time to take a new survey. We also email a reminder every two weeks up to a maximum of four reminders.
- If you have a problem taking a survey (and we try to prevent this from happening), you can call or email us for assistance.
Participants receive a new survey every six months. Here’s what you can expect to find in each 30-minute survey.
- Survey 1, which you complete when you join the study, collects demographic data, a medical history, and information about lifestyle and occupational exposures.
- Survey 2 includes a detailed reproductive history and questions about current diet and physical activity.
- Survey 3 updates the medical history and asks about lifetime physical activity. We also ask how participants like to get news and other information so we can understand the best ways to communicate with you.
You will continue to receive surveys every six months.
You may be asked if you are interested in participating in substudies on specific topics like fertility. This is optional but many nurses welcome the opportunity to contribute to increasing knowledge about health issues that are important to them.
How long will the study continue?
Each of the Nurses’ Health Studies continues throughout the lifespan of the participants. The original Nurses’ Health Study began in 1976 and is still going strong, with more than 90% of those enrolled still actively participating!
Are medications, procedures, or tests required?
No, participants only provide information about health and lifestyle.
Will I need to change my lifestyle?
No, we want you to live your life as you normally would and then tell us about it by completing the study’s surveys.
Will I have to pay for anything?
No, participation does not cost anything. The information you provide will be an invaluable gift to other women worldwide and for future generations.